Friday, April 4, 2014

The Music Machine - Hey Joe

Damn near verything that Sean Bonniwell and his Music Machine touched was brilliant. It should be no surprise then that The Music Machine did a great and unique version of Hey Joe. The band, led by Sean Bonniwell with Ron Edgar, Mark Landon, Keith Olsen and Doug Rhodes, recorded their brooding version of Hey Joe in 1966 for their debut album, Turn On The Music Machine. It was released as a single in 1968 on Original Sound Records after the band lineup had transmogrified and signed to Warner Brothers Records where they were billed as The Bonniwell Music Machine. It was Original Sound Records' last attempt to get blood from a stone.

The Flip-Side of this lovely single, with it's lovely picture sleeve, was the equally lovely original number, Wrong, also recorded in 1966.
Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

4 comments:

  1. Absolute ear heaven! That fuzzed out tremeloed guitar might be the awesomest fuzzed out guitar ever set to wax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true. So very unique. Sean Bonniwell's baritone is so perfect for this arrangement. And props to Sean and Brian Ross for a great production.

      Delete
  2. Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?
    Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?
    I'm gonna kill my woman, she's been seen with another man
    I'm gonna kill my woman, she's been seen with another man

    Hey Joe, do you think you'll ever die?
    Hey Joe, do you think you'll ever die?
    I don't believe in money, fortune and fame all dirty lies
    I don't believe in money, fortune and fame all dirty lies

    Hey Joe, tell me where you gonna go?
    Hey Joe, tell me where, where are you gonna go?
    I guess I'll take my life down to Mexico
    I guess I'll take my life down to Mexico

    Hey Joe, you can't die until your time
    Hey Joe, you can't die until your time
    I see that Death is a glove that fits the hands of time
    I see that Death is a glove that fits the hands of time

    Hey Joe, hey, hey Joe
    Hey Joe, hey, hey Joe
    Too soon, I say it's too soon, too soon to go
    Too soon, I say hey, hey Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that death is a glove that fits the hands of time. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete