Monday, September 28, 2009

Song of the Week: "New Rose", The Damned



For reasons of ignorance only, the Sex Pistols are regularly assumed to have been the first UK punk band. But they were not. That honor (?) goes to the Damned who pierced the airwaves with their song, New Rose, in October of 1976. While it is certainly true that the excellent Sex Pistols were kicking up some dust at the same time as The Damned -- and even receiving top billing over The Damned at shows around London -- the Sex Pistols couldn't seem to make it into a studio to record. So while the Sex Pistols were blowing through record deals faster than a baby goes through diapers, the Damned got signed and actually made it into a studio. What a freakin' novel idea Mr. McClaren!

On September 20, 1976, guitarist Brian James, bassist Captain Sensible, singer David Vanian and drummer Rat Scabies (not his real name me thinks), walked into Pathway Studios in London to work with the brilliant producer and always hip to new music, Nick Lowe. (for those of you who are into connections, that is the brilliant producer and always hip to new music Dave Edmunds playing guitar in that video). The product of that day's labor is our SoTW, New Rose, an original composition by the band's young guitarist, Brian James. New Rose is not just historically significant, it is also great. New Rose is relentlessly driven by the propulsive drums of Rat Scabies (drummers haven't gotten nearly enough kudos here at Flip-Side) and marked by the damn catchy barre chord riff laid down by James and his highly compressed, distorted 1961 Gibson SG through what we will assume is a Marshall amp. Those of us at the Flip-Side's Rocky Mountain offices can't get enough of that killer drum and guitar break at 1:41 and that little yelp Vanian gives out at the end of it. Nothing before (but many things after) sounded like this on the UK radio. The Damned had taken that first giant step for punk-kind in the UK, influencing bands like the Buzzcocks and the Undertones.

So on this September morning, 33 years and 8 days after this was recorded, we celebrate The Damned's New Rose as our SoTW. Click here to enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the Damned first album (and the third as well). Regardless of who was first or best or most "important", "Damned Damned Damned" is a stellar slice of impertinent rock and roll, and "New Rose" is definitely a classic. And I agree, Rat was one of the greatest rock and roll drummers ever--the punk rock Keith Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree 100% with your comments. I was a silly, crazy fan of the Damned in High School. Particularly the third album, Machine Gun Etiquette (clear vinyl!). My memory is that the second album was devoid of any value.

    I got out some vinyl to see if it was as good as I had once thought, and found, to my surprise, the only two Damned albums I have are the 1st and 3rd. Both quite good.

    Have you ever heard the side project they did, Naz Nomad and the Nightmares? It was all covers of fairly obscure 60's garage stuff. It was really good (Clear Purple Vinyl!) and played a huge part in my introduction to that type of music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here with the Naz Nomad Give Daddy the Knife CIndy. Love it. Interesting connection, in that this song shows garage influence (as well as other influences such as Bowie and surfabilly). But I've never been a fan of the Damned. Not sure why, and this song doesn't grab me just like I remember other Damned stuff not grabbing me. I can appreciate it for its incongruent chord progression switch-ups. That's cool. And the un-punk title and it's nuanced, even poetic lyrics, they intrigue me, but it doesn't get me going like the Pistols first album or that Undertones song you mention, or that Celibate Rifles stuff GB introduced in his Tape Trials series. Perhaps I need to give one of the albums a full listen.

    Is the B-side a cover of the Beatles?

    Nick Lowe? He's playing at the Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Festival in SF this Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The B-Side is indeed a blitzkrieg attack on Help (not my fave). Nick Lowe is indeed playing at the HSBF fest this weekend. Maybe I'll fly in for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear OF Naz Nomad, never actually heard it. My buddy Clicker, who is a HUGE Damned fan, often told me I need to hear Naz Nomad. Now that I think about it, I think he did play me some of their stuff and it sounded great. BUt I don't own any of it. Add it to the list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though my last entry seems to prove otherwise, I do in fact have a moderate understanding of English grammar, vocabulary, and syntax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I really, really wish I could be in a punk band again. Even for just one night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still loving this song. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete