Monday, July 13, 2009

Song of the Week: "Aneurysm", Nirvana

Back from vacation and still listening to Nirvana. Maybe that is because my vacation took me to Aberdeen, Washington, the birthplace of Nirvana. Since Nirvana got play last week, I won't spend too much time on the write up. Today's SoTW was recorded for a BBC radio program back in 1992. It's called Aneurysm and was composed by all three members of the band: Cobain, Dave Grohl, and Krist Novoselic. Another version of the song had appeared in England as the flip-side of Smells Like Teen Spirit, but I prefer this second version. In the US it appeared on the odds and ends/filler album, Incesticide. Aneurysm closes out that album and, in my humble opinion, is the standout on the album. In fact, I would suggest, with its powerful and evolving strong structure, and Cobain's gutteral vocals, it is one of Nirvana's two best songs.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment