Monday, November 2, 2009

Song of the Week: "The Last Kind Words", David Johansen and Larry Saltzman

For your listening pleasure, we present this week, David Johansen and Larry Saltzman performing their rendition of the obscure Geeshie Wiley blues song, The Last Kind Words. This was recorded for the filming of the documentary, Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus. Put it on your Netflix list. Trust me.

This song reminds me -- both musically and lyrically -- of the more famous St. James Infirmary.

Click here to listen to the full version of the song.

An abbreviated version of the song, as it appeared in the documentary, can be viewed right here.


8 comments:

  1. Man, interesting song. One of those songs that I can't really imagine what the guitar is doing and what the progressions are. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. At the heart of it, it is a simple I-IV-V structure. However, it is the odd counts, the minor to major changes and the fact that the root is on the IV that makes it so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice song. Thanks for the tip on the movie. I have a Handsome Family cd from 10 years ago or so (with Jeff Tweedy guesting on vocals on a few songs)- be interesting to see them.

    And I'm with David Johansen- I wish Kojak was on too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does Handsome Family play a role here? I saw them at the Fillmore a while back open up for Andrew Bird (excellent!) and they were pretty good alright. Kojak?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Handsome Family perform two or three songs in the documentary. Including one where they perform on the porch of a house anchored in the middle of a lake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great song, man. Thanks for keeping us on the dial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Larry. We hope you'll make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete