Friday, June 6, 2014

Busker Days: T.T. Fingers - Dust My Broom

I came across veteran busker T.T. Fingers last year on a Market Street corner. He plays a mean blues on a homemade lap steel guitar. He told me he and a friend made it one night in '87 drinking chimay and he has used it ever since. Apparently someone had stolen is previous guitar. For years he worked the busker circuit in Europe and gigged a bit too. I'm not sure how he got the name T.T. Fingers but I suspect it has something to do with him having only two fingers. That's right two fingers. Total. Take that Django! He uses the two fingers for plucking and gets around the whole fretting issue by ignoring frets altogether and strapping a slide on the end of his arm. Listen to this nice, big-hearted guy tearin' up some blues with his take on Elmore James's Dust My Broom!
Earlier days gigging in Belgium in the '70s:
Until next time, Flip-Side!

4 comments:

  1. Very Cool! Do he tell you how/when he lost his fingers? From the 70's pick he used to have all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the kind of thing I'd ask about but I can't remember and it's not on the full recording. In the picture you refer to he's in the plaid shirt on the left playing slide, not the guy front and center.

      Delete
  2. I knew TT back in the 80's. I knew a lot of the buskers in SF at the time. He's a great guy. He was born with those hands, thanks to thalidomide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Carl. He was very nice to shoot the breeze with. Good at busking and getting an audience, but I haven't seen him for some time.

      Delete