Monday, November 17, 2014

New York Spotlight: The Groupies - Primitive


Our final Battle of the Bands in New York. Today we feature the Greenwich Village band, The Primitives. The primordial quintet's only release was Primitive/Hog on Atco Records in January of 1966. We're spinning the A-Side today, the band composed, Primitive. It's a clear tip of the hat to Howlin' Wolf's Smokestack Lightnin' but with a decided garage bent and some real 'don't screw with me' lyrics.
The things that I do
You'd never try
What I get free
You gotta Buy
I'm proud of my life
Don't ask me why
Because If I told you
I'd probably...
Primitive, that's how I live
Primitive, I take what you give
Because I love
and I live,
Primitive
That wraps up our New York Spotlight. We'll announce the winner of the 10-band Battle Of The Bands tomorrow.

 Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

3 comments:

  1. Pounding, plodding bass, tribal tambourine, a drum beat emanating from a nearby cave, moaning vocals and reverb, reverb reverb. This song sets the bar for the primitive sound. And these guys looked just as primitive as the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legendary! Sounds like a soundtrack for some Horror B-movie. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ?!? Primitive!

    ReplyDelete