Sunday, December 1, 2013

Song of the Week: The Third Booth - I Need Love and Mysteries

I Need Love
Mysteries
The Third Booth hailed from the music mecca of the world, Canton, Illinois. Specifically the third booth (or table) of the drug store/soda fountain in Canton. In the Spring of 1967, J.C. Cole, Deb Rodney, Tom Reid, Tim Hackett and a guy identified only as "Steve" traveled from the drugstore to the corn farmers town of South Pekin, Illinois to record their one and only single, I Need Love. The song was written by singer J.C. Cole. The band recorded the number in 1967 and originally released the single on Thunder Records when the A-Side was known as Sounds Incorporated. After a minor blip of airplay on a Chicago station, Independence Records picked up the single for redistribution and rechristened the A-Side to the one we see here, I Need Love.

I say this in the nicest possible way, I Need Love must have sounded quite dated by the time it hit the record store(s) in '68. A little fuzz bass, a few reverb drenched harmonies, add a little dash of Them's I Can Only Give You Everything, and you get a classic garage raver in an era when garage raver's were not so vogue anymore. That's okay with us. We also include today, the Flip-Side, Mysteries. A nice little ballad written by Cole that shows the band had some chops and weren't just kicking out yet another cover of Farmer John like so many of their midwest rivals.

Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

6 comments:

  1. Fine little garage ditty. Fuzz bass is pretty cool. Yeah, it heavily relies on Them's tune. Heard it first on "Ear-Piercing Punk" comp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the fuzz draws out Mr. Eliminator every time. The next post is for you.

      Delete
  2. "and a guy identified only as "Steve" - That's Steve Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. What everybody seems to be missing is the fact that The 3rd Booth had a FEMALE
    rhythm player..in 1967!!! I met J.C. in 1975. He was in the process of putting
    the band back together. I found out thru my college Algebra teacher who was just
    then managing the new line up. One of his new band members was a Bass player by
    the name of Mark DeCoursee whom I went to school with. One night I got a call
    from Mark and he wanted to know if I would be interested in taking some publicity
    photos for the Band. When I told him yes..he asked me to come to his house where
    they were having a practice session so I could meet J.C. and to bring some of my
    work to show him. He really liked my slides of Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath that I took when I was stationed in California. I followed them around to most of their
    local gigs taking pics. I never charged them for my expertise..just ask that if
    they ever made the big time, that they would put me on full time as the band
    photographer. As it turned out about six months later without any headway in making
    that breakthrough they broke up again. Deb Rodney went on and formed an all girl
    rock band called Baby Blue. I was the photographer for her band for a short time.
    I had to give it up due to my job situation which was at that time somewhat dire.
    I went on the road in 1978 and ended up in Oklahoma..so I lost track of what happened
    to everybody. But it was really cool to be a small part of the bands history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. That's very unique for the time. In fact I can't think of another example where a girl plays guitar in an otherwise boy band. Usually Mr. Flip-side would ferret out such an interesting fact, and the name "Deb" should have raised the musicologist hairs on his neck!

    ReplyDelete