Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kit and The Outlaws - Don't Tread On Me

Brilliant! Some songs so crystalize the sound of 60s garage punk in America that you just take them for granted. Kit and The Outlaws of Dallas Fort Worth, Texas created one of those perfect songs. Perfect riff. Perfect anti-establishment lyrics. Perfect delivery. 

As usual we are talking about the Flip-Side of a single. In this case, their 1966 release, Don't Tread On Me. The snotty number was the Flip-Side of a very pedestrian cover of In The Midnight Hour. Originally released on local label BlacKnight Records in the Summer of '66, we feature here the Phillips Records release as unleashed on the public in December of that same fine year. 

Kit and the Outlaws were (from L-R in the photo below) Kit Massengill on guitar and vocals, Joe Jesmer on drums, Jerry Colwell on organ and back up vocals and Alan Rafkin on bass. Kit wrote Don't Tread On Me and it feels autobiographical. Kit looks like he may have had a chance to have pissed off a few people in conservative Dallas in 1966. Way too cool for that town in that day. So cool we have to share Kit's lyrics to Don't Tread On Me
People walking around on me
Trying to stomp my name in the ground
They use and bruise and try to confuse me
But I just don't make a sound
I'm used to having an overload
Yeah, carrying more than my share
But you sigh and cry and try to lie
And babe, you just get in my hair 
Don't tread on me (don't tread on me)
Don't you tread on me (don't tread on me)
I just want to be free (don't tread on me)
Don't you tread on me
No, no, no 
Child there are things that make me cry
Things I don't quite understand
Like you go out with other guys
But say I'm your only man 
Don't tread on me (don't tread on me)
Don't you tread on me (don't tread on me)
I just want to be free (don't tread on me)
Don't you tread on me
No, no, no 
Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it
Don't walk on me
I need yah!
I need your loving
But don't you try to walk on me 
Oh, don't tread on me (don't tread on me)
Don't, don't you tread on me baby (don't tread on me)
I, How I want things to be (don't tread on me)
Just, just like I was free (don't tread on me)
Please, don't you tread on me (don't tread on me)
No, no, no don't do it, don't do it
No, no, no, no, no, Nooooo
Photo lifted from the cool cats at Garage Hangover. You can read more about The Outlaws on that site by clicking this link.

Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

2 comments:

  1. We were from Dallas, Texas -- Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right then. Dallas it is, Kit. Thank you for stopping by. I have clarified the post now. Cheers and keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete