Monday, August 26, 2013

Song of the Week: Screaming Lord Sutch - The Train Kept A-Rollin'

The Train is still A-Rollin', for one more day, at least. Today we bring the train into the station with a Joe Meek production. And, like our last Joe Meek production with Heinz, this number features none other than Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. Screaming Lord Sutch released his (and Joe Meek's) take on The Train Kept A-Rollin' in May of 1965 for CBS Records in his native UK. It's a unique version, and, I have to say, like Mikey from the Life Cereal commercials in the 70s, I like it, I like it, I really do. I love the way the fuzz guitar and the saxophone blend seamlessly together both in tone and attack. Screaming Lord Sutch stood firmly on the silly/gimmick side of music, but he delivers earnestly here. He did seem to have a problem translating some of the lyrics, however. How did he get from Albuquerque to "Al-Kentucky"? Did they not have an Atlas in 1965?

Interestingly, the Flip-Side of the single is Honey Hush, the same Flip-Side as Johnny Burnette's single. Gee, I wonder where Joe Meek picked this one up?
Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

7 comments:

  1. Not sure I'm liking this one. Unique. I'll give you that. But seems to be lacking the heart of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord! I've expected more molestation :-) This is ok Brit R&B beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weakest of the lot, I would say. Agree with Mr. E., kinda typical Brit take on an American classic. Good lot though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What am I missing? This version is fliptastic! The pounding (yet muted) drums and the free range bass with the stop and go reinterpretation and the charging vocals add up to some full frontal assault prime UK beat. The weakest point is the intro "train whistle" guitar - based on the rest of the song, I'm surprised they didn't unleash something there. Blackmore's lead is really simple but catchy. Listening to this version is the first time that it occurred to me (ok, I'm a little slow on the uptake) that the rolling train is plain metaphor for an all-night romp with a hepster dame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a Joe Meek production isn't for everyone, but I think it's pretty darn nifty. Not the best, but damn nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing wrong with this version, just expected more savagery from crazy Lord. It would be real wyld if "The Train" [Johnny Burnette version] was covered by The Cramps. Dig!

    ReplyDelete